Level A+ and A Centers
- Meet the highest quality state child care standards…may also be nationally accredited
- Have teacher to child ratios and limited class size.
Required teacher to child ratios and class sizes for Levels A+ and A Centers:
- Infants & toddlers:
- 0-1 year – 1 teacher per 5 children (class size 10)
- 1-2 years – 1 teacher per 5 children (class size 10)
- 2-3 years – 1 teacher per 7 children (class size 14)
- 3-4 years – 1 teacher per 11 children (class size 22)
- 4-5 years – 1 teacher per 13 children (class size 26)
- 5-6 years – 1 teacher per 15 children (class size 30)
- 6-9 years – 1 teacher per 18 children (class size 36)
- 9-12 years – 1 teacher per 20 children (class size 40)
- Half of lead teachers have at least a Certificate in Early Care & Education; all must have the SC Early Childhood Credential. Directors have at least an Associate degree in Early Care & Education.
- Teachers and directors receive 20 hours of specialized training every year to help them plan curriculum and activities to support every child’s development and to prepare them for kindergarten.
- Meet national quality standards through regular rigorous on-site reviews by trained ABC assessors.
Level B+ and B Centers